The AFI Director of Special Events is responsible for the strategy, planning, and execution of a centralized schedule of events for the American Film Institute – including large gala fundraising events, exclusive awards programs, educational events, board meetings, and intimate donor dinners. The role requires both a skilled tactician – who can execute complex events flawlessly, and a creative event producer – who can develop the story of an event and follow it through to every detail to create once-in-a-lifetime experiences for AFI’s guests. A member of the Advancement Office leadership team, the Director heads a team of six staff.
- Work closely with the Senior Vice President of Advancement and the AFI President & CEO to set standards, expectations, and goals for all AFI events.
- Oversee AFI’s centralized calendar of events and coordinating with various AFI departments to support the Institute’s objectives. Oversee planning, scheduling, budgeting and implementation.
- Liaise with special events staff at studios and production companies that coproduce/present events with AFI – building strong collaborative relationships.
- Collaborate closely with Director of Strategic Partnerships to develop leveraging opportunities for event sponsors and ensure sponsorship deliverables are clearly assigned and executed.
- Serve as point person with event vendors Institute-wide, ensuring AFI maintains strong relationships and negotiating cost-effective rates for goods and services.
- Conduct event “post mortems,” reconcile event budgets, select and archive event photos and prepare final reports.
- Create and maintain a corps of freelance photographers and schedule as needed.
- Manage AFI’s relationship with Getty Images, and oversee AFI’s photo archive.
- Coordinate with pre- and post-event messaging with AFI Communications.
- Manage Special Events staff as well as AFI photo editor/archivist – fostering a culture of on-going professional development within the department.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Vice President of Advancement.
- Minimum of 8 years experience planning and producing high-level events with a proven track record of managing a diverse array of events and utilizing both professional and volunteer staff.
- Solid understanding of non-profit fundraising and sponsorship principles; some major gift fundraising experience preferred.
- Comfortable working closely with high-level donors and volunteers.
- Knowledge and understanding of non-profit financial and accounting principles.
- Demonstrated experience managing both direct reports and peer stakeholders.
- Strong leadership, time management and multi-tasking skills, coupled with the ability to take initiative and to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills, including the ability to manage multiple high-level projects and priorities simultaneously.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to interface with all departments/levels of the organization and outside third parties.
- Demonstrated ability to foster relationships with companies that can produce partnerships and yield support of the Institute.
- Working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Bachelor’s degree required.
This position reports to the Senior Vice President of Advancement.
Please send resumes to:
American Film Institute
Attn: Human Resources
2021 North Western Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90027-1657
Cover letter and resume may be submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org