A very astute client gave me some good advice that I thought I would pass along.
These are some simple things to help your partner/spouse be more comfortable when you are in the work environment.
- Make your spouse look good when around their work peers.
- Defer to your spouse when in their presence.
- Remember that your spouse is with his co-workers and industry associates a lot of time and their income/career satisfaction depends on these relationships, so choose your words carefully.
- Be careful about sharing personal information or anecdotes (such as nicknames, habits, quirks, hobbies, etc), even if you think they “humanize” your spouse.
- Ask to be included in work activities…..your spouse will ask you to join them if it is appropriate.
- When in doubt, listen rather than speak.
- Ask for anything free or preferential (merchandise, inclusion in events, perks, etc)
Thank you to this client and all my wonderful clients. Have a Successful New Year!